Black Headed Python
A strikingly beautiful python living in Australia. As its name suggests has a black head. Is one of two species in the genus (the other the woma python), both of which specialise in eating other reptiles. Can sometimes be mistaken for venomous snakes including western browns, inland taipans, but of course this python is non-venomous.
- Up to 3.5 metres, usually around 1.5-2 metres.
- Other reptiles, including snakes. Often eats lizards such as Bearded Dragons.
- Not especially fast moving snake due to its size, but perhaps 7 km/hr
- Sub-tropical savannah and semi-arid scrubland
- Jet black head allows this snake to thermoregulate efficiently with just its head exposed to the sun